07 January 2013

Navigating the streets of Lima - Biodiversity in Peru

Lima!
Having never travelled out of my birth state of Western Australia I was far from knowing what to expect when arriving in Peru. People thought I was crazy (as did I), my first trip out of my home state and I go to a non-english speaking country, land in a city which is far larger than I have ever experienced, and alone! What was I thinking?
So far it has been such an awesome experience! I arrived early in my host country and spent a few days in Lima, the capital of Peru before going to Cusco for the program. I was alone and at first was nervous. My hostel-organised taxi ride was crazy, I went through some dodgy looking areas and the road rules seemed more like guidelines however, I arrived safe and sound. Getting through the language barrier has been interesting but not too big of an issue, I recommend having your flight info, accommodation booking info and confirmation emails etc handy as this helped a great deal when checking into my accommodation when the people did not speak English.
Just your average road in Lima
Over the few days I was in Lima I did a lot of walking around, getting the feel for the area and finding where to buy food and water as well as looking at the various sites. I stayed in a really beautiful area of Lima called Miraflores, which was close to the beach and had some magnificent cliffs with very pretty parks along them, this made for a great area to walk and take in some of the sites. Lima itself was a very different place depending on where you visited, with many historic churches as well as historic ritual sites dating back to 200AD right in the centre of the metropolis and residential areas. 
The gorgeous beach views near Miraflores
Walking to most areas was easy although I did visit the local zoo which required a taxi ride. At first I was very nervous about the taxis having read some scary things however, I was advised by a fellow hostel resident what to look for in a good taxi so after was a little more confident. Another issue I encountered was the chances of receiving counterfeit money, I had changed by money at the airport so didn’t consider this an issue until I tried to use some. This did not end up being too disastrous as not everyone appeared to know what was counterfeit or in fact it may not have actually been so, as others were happy to accept the money.
Huaca Pucllana
Buying food in another country… even the menus were in Spanish, as such I had to be a brave with the menus, thankfully I had received some important info from a fellow hostel resident, pollo meant chicken. Although there were still some surprises with the menu such as receiving soup on a warm day was interesting then to have chunks of chicken foot and bone in my soup (obviously used to make the broth) was another. All was fine though, I now know that caldo means soup. 

Huaca Pucllana
All in all these last few days have been amazing and I am very thankful that I was able to come on this trip. I can’t wait to see what the rest of Peru has in store for me.
Kerri-Ann Hudson




Kerri-Ann Hudson is participating on our Biodiversity in Peru program this January 2013. Kerri-Ann is in her third year of a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management at Edith Cowan University

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP