08 January 2013

Buenos Aires Arrival - Spanish in Argentina

It is new years day and I have slept very little after spending the night out at the beach with some friends and I have to get on a plane and fly to Buenos Aires at 8:45pm. My stomach is churning a little at the thought of it, I have only ever travelled overseas once before and it was not alone. But I am very excited. 

The plane trip was less than enjoyable being very packed out from Brisbane to Dubai (14 and a half hours), but after getting through that first half it wasn’t as bad, on to Rio for 13 hours and then just 2 hours from Rio to Buenos Aires arriving at 7pm. After the long journey and lack of sleep the airport is a little overwhelming but in a good way. Walking out of customs there are hundreds of people waiting to meet their loved ones, people yelling and taxi drivers offering rides on your way out. 

I caught a shuttle bus to my hostel the Estoril Terrazas in Avenida De Mayo, after nearly missing it because of my bad pronunciation of Mayo, (luckily an Australian traveller who I had met just earlier helped me out because he had spent lots of time in Argentina) I was dropped outside and feeling adventurous!

I walked up 6 floors of a beautiful old winding staircase checked in, and then because it was very late I had a shower and slept. (My eyes were falling out of my head from lack of sleep as the Hostel manager Nacho attempted to explain and show me around).

The view that I woke up to on my first day here.
 Waking up and looking out the window the first thing I was struck by was the amazing architecture! Then walking out for breakfast I could choose to sit on the rooftop of the backpackers and enjoy a view of the whole city.

The cobble stone streets in San Telmo
After chatting to some Aussie travellers over breakfast I headed off for a walk to San Telmo a historical part of the city, the streets are cobblestone and the building I am not sure which era they are from but they all have little terraces, bright colours and some with murals on them as well. Here I wandered around checking out some artisan stalls and attempting some broken Español with the artists, making friends and getting help improving my Español.

Street art in San Telmo
Meeting my host family -  after a 10-minute walk from the hostel to Monica’s apartment I was welcomed into a very sweet apartment and made to feel totally at home. Including a very strange but loving cat called Rubio who likes to try to go in the bath and jumps on top of high cupboards.

Historical courtyard in San Telmo
I still have another day until classes start so I will write again soon once they have started.  


Love, Mindy


In Centro I was watching as buses and cars gave way to an old man standing in the middle of the street. 
Mindy Davies is completing our Intensive Spanish in Argentina program this January 2013. Mindy is in her 4th year of a Double Degree in Law and International Relations at Griffith University.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP